December 19, 2009

Best Day Ever

OK, so hands down Thursday was the best day ever. All for reasons that I will explain now.

Thursday was a big day for me to start with. It was the last day for collections for the Santa's Helpers Toy Drive. I have never been more proud of the people that I work with than that day. Last year, with a goal of 1,000 toys, we managed to scrape in 500. That was with an "anonymous donor" aka CEO demanding more toys and getting them himself. We totally got showed up with the one bike we got with the 18 anonymously donated one. Sheesh. Since I am in charge of all events I was determined to turn this year around. I lowered the goal to 800 and begged. I mean begged. I went out and dropped a cool $75 on kids ( it is my favorite part of Christmas, hands down). I made it a competition - with no prize at the end, but it worked. We pulled in 900 toys. So many in fact that I had to rent a u haul to get them all downtown.

This leads into the next amazing part of the day. On my way back to work driving said u haul I get a text from my giddy co-worker, Shemeka (a boy, but nonetheless, this name works). "Jessica Alba and her husband are at the office". Great. The day I decide to drive a u haul... I park out from and casually walk into the building - which is more than I can say for the throngs of girls running around looking for the celebrity sighting. I casually walk up the stairs with Shemeka and who starts walking down? Cash Warren and the stunning Jessica Alba, followed by my husband who is getting the view from the back-side. Cash then says hi to Shemeka and me. Woah. I am now famous.

Shemeka and I run back to our desk and immediately "follow" Jessica and Cash and send them @replies. Now never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to get anything back in response...

Booya! I am kdubbers!



Ok, back to the rest of the day now...
Our plan was to take the toys down to the Santa's Helpers drive-thru drop off downtown. This may or may not have been because my meteorologist quasi-crush was leading the donations. I have always had a thing for weathermen and it doesn't hurt that my man - PD, is the nicest person you will ever meet. When I got downtown, we pulled into the drop off area and threw open the u haul. The helpers there were astonished. I guess they never expected to see a u haul pull up full of toys to be donated to kids. It really was one of the best feelings in the world. As the toys were being unloaded I was spotted by PD, did I mention that we had met before and we tweet all the time. I guess that is a whole other story. He walked over and hugged me (and kissed me on the cheek - heaven). I am not saying I that big of a deal, but I was asked to move the u haul and come back to talk and hang out. I did. Since I was not alone, my story can all be confirmed. We are practically best friends now.

I really thought the day could not possibly get any better, but then he mentioned us on tv that night! Holler!

1 comment: