February 24, 2010

Sickly One...

So, it has been quite sometime since I have blogged. But let's be honest, I have not really had the time or the energy to be funny and witty. My baby sister-in-law is getting married in 5 weeks, so things have really begun to pick up pace. If we are not shopping, or planning, or partying... it is something else. Normally this would not be an issue at all, but I haven't exactly been the most healthy this year. I came down with what I thought was a mild flu just after New Years. That last about 10 days. As soon as I got over that, I developed a very sore throat and ear ache. Tada - sinus/ear infection. Doc popped me full of antibiotics and sent me on my way. I finished off those meds and started to feel better. For a week... then last week I started to develop what I thought was a cold, it could have been allergies. Who knows. It started to clear up just in time for the bachelorette party. Thank God, because that was a hella good time. So much fun that I spent most of the day after throwing my guts up.

Monday morning brought fatigue and a nagging cough, but I thought nothing about it, just assuming that I was still recovering from the weekends events and the cold I had the week before. 3 o'clock rolled around and I noticed that it was an ice box in the office. I could not warm up. By the end of the work day, my skin was so sensitive (my tell-tale sign that I have a fever) that I was sure that it wasn't just the temperature in the building. Hubs and I hit the grocery store and by the time I got home my clothes felt like razor blades on my skin. As soon as I walked in the door at home, a thermometer was in my mouth. Da da duh... 102. Wow! Now that is a fever - I am usually around 97. I spent that entire night on the couch with my snuggie and 2 additional blankets with no change as to how cold I was. I emailed my boss and let her know that I was not going to be in the next day because of the fever. 2am rolled around and I awoke covered in sweat - sweet! No more fever. The next morning, I took my temperature again, 103. Really?!?!? I immediately called the doc to get an appointment. Note to all internet diagnosers, don't go to WedMD - when I put all my symptoms (fever, coughing, fatigue, aches, headaches, chills), I had either pneumonia, or swine flu.

At the doctors office I sat in the waiting room trying not to breathe in case I had one of the above. I still had a rocking fever of 103 there too. Why is it that I always feel relieved when my symptoms are confirmed by the doc? I think that it is for me, so people don't think that I am exaggerating. I fell asleep twice in the office as I was waiting for my swine flu results. My doctor did think that was what I had and was actually shocked when it came back negative. She did however say that this was one of the worst cases of the flu that she has seen that was not swine. Another confirmation that I was not crazy.

So here I sit, on the couch the same as I have since Monday night (it's Wednesday). It is painful to walk, sit up, and just generally move. I have some mega antibiotics and some decongestant that tastes like battery acid. Even with the cocktail of tylenol and advil, I am still hanging on to this fever. If it is not gone by tomorrow morning, I won't be able to go back to work at all this week. Doctors orders.

Holy cabin fever batman.

4 comments:

  1. OMG you poor thing! I've only had the flu once, and I was reduced to tears in the doctor's office! I was in college and I just wanted my mommy! Please feel better and I will send lots of jedi mind trick forces to that nasty fever! Drink lots and lots of fluids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Downer,
    Stop being a pansy and complaining about HAVING to stay home . . . . because of you, you're husband is missing the movie tonight. Drink some of grandpa's cough medicine and be on your way.
    Signed - Stuck at Work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cap't Competitive, now that is what I call sympathy. Don't worry, I will have the same for you if you are ever this sick. And just to clear something up, my husband was told that he was more than welcome to go to the movie. Because he is a loving husband, he felt bad that I was home sick and he made that decision to stay with me all on his own. I am sure if Steph was bedridden for days you would be perfectly fine going to a movie that she wants to see without her. Sure. And for your information, I am on 3 different meds. So why don't you jump off that high horse of yours and leave me alone. Find someone else to insult. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! My plan worked. Haven't you figured out yet that my entire commenting premise lies on the fact that I might possibly get a rise out of you? Look, 11 lines says I achieved my goal.
    By the way, there is a viewing of that movie again this week. I will send you the pass so you guys can attend . . . .unless of course you come down with a nasty case of the HIV this week.

    ReplyDelete