February 1, 2010

Gym Funnies

I have been informed that this story is not actually funny but sad, nonetheless, I thought it was amusing enough to write about.

So I have already mentioned that my gym had a crazy amount of Asians. This is more of a side note, but I took a poll. My own survey. I counted the people that walked up the stairs in front of my elliptical. Out of the 32 people that I saw come into the gym. I am not lying... 22 were Asian. Weird. Anyway, back to my story (which does have an Asian flair, so lay off me).

This evening I was watching the step class while I am ellipicizing. Not because I think it is hot, but because the elliptical that I have taken a liking to is located directly in front of the doors to the classroom. Oh that wonderful machine so strategically located directly in front of the giant fans. While watching the step class I notice something strange. There is a woman (Asian - there is the connection) standing in the middle to the classroom just standing. Everyone around her is stepping and twirling and jumping and she is just standing. It quickly dawns on me that she completely and utterly lost. The routine has turned her into a complete petrified statue. Every once in a while she attempts to step up on the step in time with the others, but 98% of the time she is standing completely still with her hands on her cheeks ala Kevin McAllister style. She would break up the complete stupor with a drink from her water bottle... because she was obviously parched. This goes on for a good 15 minutes until she slips out of the back of the class leaving her step behind and heading downstairs to the locker room.

Now, I do feel bad for her. I don't like to see anyone feel stupid like that. But I was completely mystified that it was actually happening.

So to the discouraged stepper out there, hang in there. You will find rhythm someday.

2 comments:

  1. You should have provided her with a few quick pointers . . . be a pal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your not one of the people that stand outside the class peering in. Just bizarre.

    I was in a Yoga class and this happened several times.

    btw. Hi, new follower.

    Also... I witnessed an Asian invasion @ Hooters recently. The funny part is the guy I was there with was Asian and he pointed it out.

    Friend: Bro, what's with all these little Asian people?

    Me: I think it's just a big family or something.

    Frind: No man, there's too many.

    Hour Later...

    Me: Whoa there's way more. I'm scared.

    ReplyDelete